I would like to present a few pieces of media where youth are utilizing the Internet as a new, open platform for self-expression where they are making the media that expresses and shapes their world. Though globalizing contributes to some of the risk factors youth face, globalization also provides the opportunity for youth to challenge their surroundings via access and technology.
This is connected to Youth, Risk and Equity in a Global World. Though below the majority are music videos, it does not only have to be via music video. Any form of media is possible, which is why I also included a spoken word “Hope List” from 5th-8th graders at KIPP Star Middle School on SoundCloud, and a song on SoundCloud written by Tunisian youth musicians. The possibilities are endless!
- Music Video Challenge created by What’s Going On NOW… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DukdFWNXtmA
- Musicians Without Borders– How To Build a Studio (And a Better World)…. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0q1TQZKmp4
- Heartbeat– Bukra fi Mishmish (when the impossible happens)…. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xw6NiUb44o
- Musicians Without Borders– Umuco… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E–I0Seqd5M
- Hope List Spoken Word: https://soundcloud.com/kipp-star-middle-school/one-band-one-sound-beginning
- Improvised Song about NOW: https://soundcloud.com/shoshana-heartbeat/improv-song-at-final-concert